The department local area network includes wall outlets in Hennings, Hebb, ChemPhysics and Brimacombe buildings. 1GB connections are available in most areas.
All computers must have their MAC/ethernet addresses registered in the PHAS DNS and DHCP tables. Once registered, the computer can automatically obtain an ip address via DHCP. By default, ip addresses are statically assigned to computers. However, laptops which are likely to require connections to more than one subnet ("roaming") can have dynamically assigned ip addresses on any PHAS subnet.
Faculty, staff and graduate students can register their desktops and laptops by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- your name and PHAS email address
- if you are a student, your supervisor's email address
- building and room number
- specify if this is a "roaming" laptop (travels between buildings)
- host name for the computer. For advice on choosing a name, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1178
- computer's mac address See Finding Mac Addresses
- brief hardware and operating system description (eg. Desktop/Laptop and Linux/MacOS/WinX)
- an expiry date for the connection
- if it is a laptop, specify its encryption status and method of encryption