Former PHAS professor Carl Hansen featured in media for successful AbCellera IPO
Congratulations to former UBC Physics & Astronomy associate professor Carl Hansen for an extremely successful initial public offering of AbCellera, where he is the founding Chief Executive Officer. The company, now worth US $15-billion, utilizes an innovative assay technology that allows for rapid discovery of antibodies. The company spearheaded the development of an antibody treatment for COVID-19, which was recently granted by Health Canada for use in recently diagnosed, mild to moderate COVID-19 in high-risk patients.
This IPO sets the record for the biggest debut for a Canadian biotechnology company.
Carl joined UBC in 2005, and left the department in fall 2019 to pursue his commitment as Chief Executive Officer of AbCellera.
Media features on this success
- Ex-UBC prof Carl Hansen now worth more than $4 billion following spectacular AbCellera Biologics IPO via Georgia Straight
- A Canadian biotech giant is born: AbCellera stock triples in debut, company now worth US$15-billion via The Globe and Mail (subscription required)
- Vancouver biotech firm AbCellera Biologics goes public at $20 per share on NASDAQ via Georgia Straight
- Vancouver’s AbCellera more than doubles IPO target size, headed for biggest debut on record for Canadian biotech via The Globe and Mail (subscription required)
More about AbCellera
- Tackling the world’s deadliest diseases one Ab at a time: an interview with Dr. Carl Hansen via Michael Smith Laboratory
- PHAS Researcher Carl Hansen leads UBC biotechnology spin-off AbCellera via UBC Physics & Astronomy
- A transition to translation: Dr. Carl Hansen via UBC Michael Smith Laboratory
- AbCellera Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering via AbCellera
Carl is also an alumnus of our Engineering Physics Program; the Program shared some highlights of Carl's career through an Instagram post below.
Congratulations again Carl and the AbCellera team!