willing to supervise
Swarthmore College, 1993, B.A. in Physics, B.S. in Engineering
University of Cambridge, 1994, M. Phil. in Engineering
MIT, 1998, Electrical Engineering, thesis supervisors: E.P Ippen and H.A. Haus
- Dept. Physics & Astronomy, University. of British Columbia, Canada: Associate Professor, 07/2010-present
- Dept. Physics & Astronomy, University. of British Columbia, Canada: Assistant Professor, 1/2004-6/2010
- JILA, University of Colorado: Senior Research Associate, 10/2001-12/2003.
- PhotonEx Inc (Boston, MA).: Senior Optical Engineer, 7/2000-9/2001.
- JILA, University of Colorado: NRC Research Associate, 10/1998-7/2000.
- RLE and Lincoln Laboratories, MIT: Research Assistant, 9/1994-9/1998.
- JILA Scientific Achievement Award, 2000 and 2003.
- National Research Council Research Associateship Award, 1998-2000.
- Winston Churchill Fellowship (University of Cambridge), 1993-94.
- Barry Goldwater Scholarship, 1992-93.
USA and Canadian
Hobbies and Interests
rock climbing, backcountry skiing
Atomic, Molecular & Optical Physics
Atomic, Optical and Molecular Physics
Femtosecond Frequency Combs, XUV Spectroscopy, Precision Spectroscopy
Over the decade, the recent advances in precision control of the optical spectrum emitted by a femtosecond (fs) laser have made a revolutionary impact to the fields of optical frequency metrology and ultrafast optical science . These advances have, in effect, provided an entirely new class of optical sources available for experimental investigations. It is within this context, that I pursue research in the following directions:
- Development of underlying technology for femtosecond frequency combs
- High photon flux table-top XUV sources for spectroscopic applications
- Optical frequency metrology with fiber laser based femtosecond frequency combs
- Femtosecond frequency combs + cold atoms/molecues