2019 – present Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia
2017 – 2019 Postdoctoral Fellow, Rice University
Hobbies and Interests
When she's not growing crystals or at the beam line, Alannah loves cooking, playing bridge, and learning to sail in the waters around beautiful British Columbia.
Experimental studies of quantum materials, crystal growth, neutron scattering, muon spin relaxation
Design and crystal growth of new quantum materials, Structural and magnetic properties of high entropy oxides, Magnetic frustration in the local to itinerant crossover, Multipolar interactions in rare earth magnets, Topological semimetals with strong spin-orbit coupling
For a full list of publications, see: My website or Google Scholar or the arXiv
- Entropy Engineering and Tunable Magnetic Order in the Spinel High-Entropy Oxide. [Johnstone, González-Rivas, Taddei, Sutarto, Sawatzky, Green, Oudah, and Hallas. Journal of the American Chemical Society 144, 45, 20590–20600 (2022)].
- Tutorial: a beginner’s guide to interpreting magnetic susceptibility data with the Curie-Weiss law. [Mugiraneza and Hallas. Communications Physics 5, 1-12 (2022)].
- Frustrated magnetism in fluoride and chalcogenide pyrochlore lattice materials. [Reig-i-Plessis and Hallas, Physical Review Materials 5, 030301 (2021)]
- Quantum critical point in the itinerant ferromagnet Ni1-xRhx. [Huang, Hallas, Grube, Kuntz, Spiess, Bayliff, Besara, Siegrist, Cai, Beare, Luke, and E. Morosan. Physical Review Letters 124, 117203 (2020)]
- Complex transport and magnetism in inhomogeneous mixed valence Ce3Ir4Ge13. [Hallas, Huang, Rai, Weiland, McCandless, Chan, Beare, Luke, and Morosan. Physical Review Materials 3, 114407 (2019)]
- Coexistence of metallic and nonmetallic properties in the pyrochlore Lu2Rh2O7. [Hallas, Sharma, Mauws, Chen, Zhou, Ding, Gong, Tachibana, Sarte, Attfield, Luke, and Wiebe. npj Quantum Materials 4, 9 (2019)]
- Experimental insights into ground-state selection of quantum XY pyrochlores. [Hallas, Gaudet, and Gaulin. Annual Review of Condensed Matter Physics. 9, 105 (2018)]