Printing to Departmental Printers from Windows Computers
First you need to install the Line Printer Remote (LPR) Port Monitor feature to print to a UNIX print server.
For Windows 7, do the following:
- Go to Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features >> Turn Windows features on or off, then expand Print and Document Services, select the LPR Port Monitor check box, and then click OK.
- For Windows XP, do the following:
- Go to Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs >> Add/Remove Windows Components, then select Other Network File and Print Services check box, and then click Next, then Finish. (You may be requested to insert the Windows XP installation CD)
- Download Xerox Printer Driver from here: 64bit or 32bit, HP driver (PCL driver works)
- Run the downloaded driver
- On License Agreement page, click on Accept
- On Xerox Software Installation page, click on Install
- When Add Printer Wizard starts, click on Next
- Select Local printer attached to this computer, and uncheck Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer, then click Next
- Select Create a new port, and for the port type, choose LPR Port from the drop down menu, then click Next
- In the Name or address of server providing lpd box, type in print.phas.ubc.ca.
In the Name of printer or lp queue on that server box, type in the corresponding queue name listed on the Printers page
- Select the printer manufacturer and model. For Xerox printers (lp, lp3, lp7), choose Xerox Global Print Driver PS, then click Next
- Enter printer name, click Next
- Select Do not share this printer, click Next
- On Do you want to print a test page?, select Yes, and then click Next
- Click Finish