UBC Workspace (https://phas.ubc.ca/ubc-workspace)
To share files with other users ( not on the dept systems) one should not use tools like Google Drive, Dropbox, since these services store data outside of Canada which is contrary to the provisions in FIPPA, BC information Security law.
UBC Workspace (https://it.ubc.ca/projects/workspace-20) is a cloud-based file sharing service that offers an easy and secure way for staff and faculty to share files via folders, both internally and externally with colleagues, partners and clients, from any supported device, while still complying with Canadian, provincial, and UBC security requirements.
To share a folder in Workspace:
- Open https://files.workspace.ubc.ca (https://files.workspace.ubc.ca) in a browser and login.
- Create a folder that you want to share with other users
- Click on the share icon at the far right of the folder name
- Add user's email addresses in the Add Individuals field, and give them proper permissions.
- Enter the new user's name and email addresses, and click on save. Don't forget to change the user's access permission correspondingly.
- After you have entered all the users you want to share the folder with, click on Save and an email invitation will be sent to the users.
If you couldn't find the user's email address in step 4, click on Invite New User link
The user doesn't have to have to own space on the file share system. They should receive the email invitation after you save the sharing. Any user who doesn't have an account in Workspace will need to create a password at the first time they login.
This service replaces the earlier Horizon Files service previously offered by UBC-IT 2015-05. The data
on Horizon Files was migrated to the new service.