Operating System Updates
Operating System updates can enhance the security and performance of your computer. It is always a good idea to keep the operating system up-to-date, especially when there are security updates.
Here is how you can check operating system updates on different operating systems:
- Click Start.
- Click All Programs.
- Click Windows Update and then follow the prompts to get your system up to date.
Mac OS X
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
- Choose Software Update from the View menu.
- Click Update Now.
- Select the items you want to install, then click Install.
- Enter an Admin user name and password.
- After the update is complete, restart the computer if necessary.
- Use GUI tool by clicking System > Administration > Update Manager > select Install updates
- Use command line: Open Terminal, type in sudo apt-get update
MS Baseline Security Analyzer In response to direct customer need for a streamlined method of identifying common security misconfigurations, Microsoft has developed the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA).
Qchain.exe gives system administrators the ability to safely chain hotfixes together. Hotfix chaining involves installing multiple hotfixes without rebooting between each installation. Without this tool, the only supported method is to reboot after each hotfix installation.